Friday, November 6, 2009

Jaguar E-Type

Think to the 1960's, think of a car, what car comes into your head. In my mind I get a image of a beautifully designed car. A car with that certain something that wants to make you stare until it leaves your sight off into the horizon. I am talking about the Jaguar E-type, a two door wonder with the long front and sharp end. The hard top of course, the convertible version just doesn't do it for me. It looks like the driver is trying too hard for attention. While the hard top showed elegance, not trying to be there in your face, it just gets you to stand back and think, damn that's a nice car.

I will be honest here and say I don't know much about cars, I know nothing about engine size, performance or any of those sort of things. I'm going purely on looks here and I will like you to find one person on this planet to say the Jaguar E-Type is an ugly car. The E-Type is a work of art, a cult classic and a truly magnificent looking car. Another wonder about the car is that its a British car. Cars of today with any such elegance to the Jag would be made in Italy or Germany. But neither country would come close to the masterpiece assembled in a factory in Coventry.

I am not the only person to say this, on its release Enzo Ferrari called it “The most beautiful car ever made” and I think he knows what he is talking about. Every detail on the car looks like it has been carefully thought of, drawn on a piece of paper and constantly changed and changed back until they got the perfect look. The wheel trims were something special, when seeing them it was like being a child staring at a full moon for the first time. The light leather interior oozed elegance. The headlights were like something off a fictional space ship and the unique shape of the car stuck in your mind.

I'm obviously too young to remember when they first came out, my fascination of them when my dad took me to a classic car auction and I saw it glistening out from all the other dusty antiques sitting there. The Jaguar E-Type is just not a car but a piece of art. A cult icon of the British 60's and a car that any British citizen would be proud of to say that we produced that.

No comments:

Post a Comment